Simple back up release

Sometimes you just have to do things yourself.
lockedinlatex2
Unfettered Newbie

Simple back up release

Unread post by lockedinlatex2 »

Much is written on this and similar sites about the need for a back-up release when doing self bondage (and quite right too). Although my wife does not play, she knows about my kink and sometimes assists, but is always there as a back up if things go wrong. Until recently I have been using a combination lock/timer release overnight, and always out of the bondage before my wife leaves the house to go to work - so a back up has never been required.

I've now discovered how much better it is to use an electromagnet for key release - meaning I can play during the day if I want to. For my most recent session I wanted a long duration which would last during a period my wife was not around. The solution I tried was to have a spare key sealed in an envelope, attached to a chain clipped to my waist belt. At any time I could reach the key and let myself out. I asked my wife to instruct me beforehand that I was not to use the 'emergency release' for anything other than an emergency. I then locked my self down and waited for the timer to count down and the key release.

Several hours into the session I realised that one of the 'master keys' was on the bedside table. I squirmed and struggled and strained to reach it but to no avail, it was just too far away. So I stayed put, creaking in my latex and leather and chains until finally the allotted time arrived and the electromagnet coughed up the key. Release was now to hand.

In all the time I was tied down, I never once gave a thought to the 'emergency key'. It was just that - for emergencies - and so out of bounds. A simple psychological trick - but it certainly worked for me. Hopefully it will work again in the future. If you have a play partner, it could easily be coupled with a selection of penalties (possibly kink related, possibly vanilla) for improper use. I would be interested to hear if anyone else has tried this, and if so, have they found if it works for them?

lanad
Tightly Hogtied

Re: Simple back up release

Unread post by lanad »

I have been doing self bondage for ever and always had a backup knife and spare key available and only used them a few times, there was only one time I got trapped in my own bondage and had no backup, a terrifying experience I have ever encountered, but looking back I would not have missed it for the world.

LockedInALocker
Hopelessly Suspended

Unread post by LockedInALocker »

I'm sort of of the view that, if you have a release that can be used at any time, you're not really locked/tied up, and it's a bit of a pretence - and no psychological tricks used to pressure one to avoid using it except in a real emergency seem to make any difference to that. (Some may disagree: please understand that I am saying all this from my own point of view, not stating provable facts that can't be contradicted.)
     Yes, I can see the safety arguments in favour of a release, and it's difficult to argue against them without sounding rash and foolhardy - but there's a sense in which the bottom line goes something like this: If there's a spare key available, then you are not locked up - it really seems as starkly simple as that (to me, at least).
     I don't use a back-up for my self-bondage in locked containers. But, in a way, I already have, inherent in my method of self-confinement, a release if something happens like a timer-controlled lamp blowing out: I can get out if I just run through up to 10,000 combinations on the sturdy lock that is locking me in the bag, locker, suitcase, or whatever I am locked in. I will be certain to get out eventually if I do that - it just may take me a couple of hours - that's all.
     Supposing I have a heart attack or stroke, and can't wait that long? Well, I guess I will die in that case - preferable, perhaps, to surviving maybe crippled and in a wheelchair, or brain-damaged, which might be likely if one is saved, but not promptly. I live alone, so I could have such an incident anyway and be unable to get help. It could happen suddenly while driving - (* CRASH *) - and it's all over - but no-one ever suggests I shouldn't drive alone. It's a risk - but perhaps no more of one than many people willingly undertake in things like surfing, mountaineering, and many other sports considered entirely acceptable. No medical tests I've had have ever shown any predilection on my part for either heart attack or stroke, or any other severe mishaps.
     The thing that works in my favour is that I am never bound inside my containers (partly due to a personal preference that the container be the thing that imprisons me, and partly because it would not be feasible, owing to the need to use my hands to get free when finally my lamp turns on again). I gather that risks of death or injury are far greater if one is additionally bound. I can survive in my containers unharmed for many hours if I need to, even if it may long since cease to be enjoyable.

Does anyone have this really strong feeling that you're really not locked up at all if you have an immediate way of escape if you choose to use it? - no matter what emotional pressure is used to make you refrain from using it except in an emergency.

Regards, Michael.

dudejupe
Unfettered Newbie

Unread post by dudejupe »

When I'm by myself, I prefer to stay away from anything that can turn ugly quickly. No neck stuff.

lanad
Tightly Hogtied

Unread post by lanad »

Michael
Totally agree but in all "sports" one has to take reasonable precautions, by having a backup you take away the fear factor, so making the backup slightly difficult to get to (the long crawl) or messy (oil in a can) helps, since my entrapment that lasted over 12 hours (in true bondage) all my attempts to achieve the same mental, emotional and painful experience have failed because of that backup.
so what is the answer ?.

LockedInALocker
Hopelessly Suspended

lanad wrote: Totally agree but in all "sports" one has to take reasonable precautions, by having a backup you take away the fear factor, so making the backup slightly difficult to get to (the long crawl) or messy (oil in a can) helps, since my entrapment that lasted over 12 hours (in true bondage) all my attempts to achieve the same mental, emotional and painful experience have failed because of that backup.
so what is the answer ?.
     I don't know. Perhaps the ideal answer is to have a partner - but there are people (including myself) for whom that is totally infeasible, for various reasons. Maybe one day certain types of robots may be reliable enough to act as a release; but I wouldn't trust that now, or any time soon.
     Perhaps it depends on just what you do in self-bondage, too. I get the feeling from things I see described by other people that my own style of self-bondage is quite gentle and soft by comparison with what some others do, so that, although I am not a risk-taker by nature, I really don't feel any fears about doing the things I do. However, if I were tightly bound, with a gag, blindfold, or other constraints, I might feel very differently about it and be much more cautious.
     Apart from the fact that solutions like the oil in a can, where you can get a key, but only by causing oil to spill all over a laptop (or something valuable like that), probably couldn't be made to work for self-confinement in containers, I don't like that approach, anyway. To my mind, if you can get a key by any means, you are not locked up: you can get free at any time, but are just going to have to accept the completely pointless destruction of something you value. It might constrain me to wait for my normal release (if that had not gone wrong, but I just wanted to get out earlier than I thought), but in that case it would be the fear of losing a precious item that would be confining me, not the bondage itself. While the end result might be the same (except in the case where I had an emergency and had to get out straight away) - that is, most of the time I would choose to stay in bondage rather than wreck something valuable - it would still make a very significant difference to the way I felt about the whole thing.

Regards, Michael.

lanad
Tightly Hogtied

Unread post by lanad »

I am I guess a bit of a pain slut as some people say, I set up electrical torment for every 2 hours or so and that lasts for about 30 mins, also very tight rope, during the torment even if the key was in my hand I would be unable to use it, I just love the helplessness of the situation that I put my self in, I sometimes use a tape gag or a hood but never the two together.
Attachments
vlcsnap-00002x.jpg
vlcsnap-00002x.jpg (28.94 KiB) Viewed 14559 times

kittyfur
Unfettered Newbie

Unread post by kittyfur »

One thing I do when I can't have a reliable backup release is to keep a mobile phone within reach. I use an app to disable access to anything that could possibly be used for entertainment so I could call for help but nothing more.

Do you think a phone would give you the same feeling of being trapped? It does for me. Yet it makes it possible to get help before you are stuck for days. It might also be useful in the event of a fire or other emergency.

lanad
Tightly Hogtied

Unread post by lanad »

kittyfur wrote:One thing I do when I can't have a reliable backup release is to keep a mobile phone within reach. I use an app to disable access to anything that could possibly be used for entertainment so I could call for help but nothing more.

Do you think a phone would give you the same feeling of being trapped? It does for me. Yet it makes it possible to get help before you are stuck for days. It might also be useful in the event of a fire or other emergency.
using a phone would instill the fear factor because, have you paid the bill, is the battery OK, have you got a signal, is the phone got one of theses doggy viruses that that are currently about, are you using a gag or ear plugs, who are you going to phone, the police or a friend. will the police respond and kick in your door or is your friend down the pub.

LockedInALocker
Hopelessly Suspended

kittyfur wrote:Do you think a phone would give you the same feeling of being trapped? It does for me.
     I do not own a mobile phone, so I can't be quite sure how I would feel about that. But I think it would largely, if not entirely, allow me to feel that I was still locked up, as the fact would be that, phone or no phone, I was still unable physically to get out, and if I phoned someone for help, it would still take quite some time to come and get me out. So it would be a lot better than a key handy which I could use immediately, which would totally destroy the "locked up" effect for me - so much so that I would just have no interest in doing it at all.
kittyfur wrote:Yet it makes it possible to get help before you are stuck for days. It might also be useful in the event of a fire or other emergency.
     For some types of bondage, I imagine that you are right. For what I do, though, the importance of this would be less, since, if worst comes to worst (as it has a couple of times), I can still get out within a few hours by simply working through all 10,000 combination in the dark until I hit upon the right one. It is a far more daunting, exhausting task than it may seem just thinking about it - but it can be done - and you do it if you reach a situation where you have no other alternative. (I still remember an hours-long struggle I had to get out of a small locker this way - only 3 ft. high, 15" wide, and 20" deep. But I finally got out. So, the way I do things, only hours are at stake if all goes wrong - not days. And I have a feeling sheet-metal would likely make a phone unusable in a locked locker, anyway.)
lanad wrote:using a phone would instill the fear factor because, have you paid the bill, is the battery OK, have you got a signal, is the phone got one of theses doggy viruses that that are currently about, are you using a gag or ear plugs, who are you going to phone, the police or a friend. will the police respond and kick in your door or is your friend down the pub.
     Well, you would surely check your phone for all these things before depending on it, wouldn't you? While something could still go wrong despite all checks, the chances of this would seem low enough if you've checked things as well as you can, so that it may not seem like a significant factor - just like the fact that I *could* suddenly have a stroke any moment at home (even when not in bondage), so suddenly that I can't go and get help - but the fear of this is low enough that it doesn't have any effect on my plans when I plan to do something alone and away from other humans. There is a history of brain aneurysms in my family, so it's possible I could have an aneurysm at any moment, with little warning, and I'd be dead quite quickly, and unconscious very quickly, if it happened with no-one in reach (highly likely, since I live alone). It has little effect on my activities: if I die, I die - it would probably be a better way to die than many ways I might face if I have a very long life-span, then die of some degenerative disease that no doctors can do a thing about, except let me slowly rot. I have not been tested whether I have this weakness, because if the test were positive, it would mean a serious brain operation that would likely strip away my senses of taste and smell - I'd rather not know, and just die if it comes to me, before I even know what's happening.
     So the fear of dying while in bondage doesn't make a lot of difference to me if I have taken all reasonable precautions and checks, as I do.
     There is another reason why I think it would be a very bad idea to adopt the habit of taking a phone with me into a container I lock myself into: and that is that it can get quite moist inside, depending on the temperature, humidity, and such - most of this is due to condensed moisture from breathing, not sweat (unless it's a hot day and you then *do* sweat also, but I try to avoid that). This can at times be so strong that, in the right conditions, it literally rains inside a locked surfboard bag, for example. I am thinking that repeated exposure to this sort of moisture would be very bad for a phone, and would eventually destroy it. Of course this problem would not apply to using the phone in self-bondage situations (rope, handcuffs, etc.) where one is held by restraints, but not actually contained inside anything.

Regards, Michael.

Jimdini
Tightly Hogtied

Unread post by Jimdini »

I have just come across another problem with the phone back up, what happens if your back up mislays their phone?
I just spent an unplanned three and a half hours in strict bondage. I had got my self bound using straps and screw locking manacles to secure my hands behind my back. My primary and secondary releases went awry so I activated my safety assistant on my phone, expecting help within thirty minutes. After 45 minutes and a no show I started to panic and try to call for help but my ball gag proved to be to effective. I was really in a sweat now, if I couldn't get help I could be well and truly screwed.Then lady luck intervened and my primary release gave up the allen key and I managed to free myself. I cancelled the safety assistant and sent a stand down text to my back up. Two hours later my back up contacted me to apologise, they had just found their phone down the back of a cupboard. So even the human back up at the end of a phone van go wrong.
Never confuse your ambition with your abilitues, if you can't free yourself who will?