So, those backup release methods....

Sometimes you just have to do things yourself.
taibhse
Unfettered Newbie

So, those backup release methods....

Unread post by taibhse »

Today's session didn't go quite to plan.

I've one of those Meo ice locks and so far it's been great, it usually lets you go after two hours. I didn't think today was in any way cold, but after an hour there was barely any give in it. This is odd I thought. Two hours came and went, then three, by three and a half hours I was very keen to get loose, but I'd to wait another 31 mins before it released. It's an interesting sensation locking that final padlock shut and knowing you're going nowhere until the ice melts, the usual two hours I'm fine with, this was twice as long and a bit much.

I can vouch for the security of the Meo , It's really not letting go until it's ready.

I may have been unlucky with the room temperature, but I'm wondering if it's actually developed a fault somehow as it's never taken that long before. Either way I think it might be a while before I try another session with it. I'm also thinking about getting a decent combination lock to use with it. Anyone else ever had any problems with ice locks?

Petrajane
Strict Strappado

Re: So, those backup release methods....

Unread post by Petrajane »

taibhse wrote: I may have been unlucky with the room temperature, but I'm wondering if it's actually developed a fault somehow as it's never taken that long before. Either way I think it might be a while before I try another session with it. I'm also thinking about getting a decent combination lock to use with it. Anyone else ever had any problems with ice locks?
My suggestion would be set the ice lock up as if you were going to use it, then rather than lock yourself up using it, make a note of the time you start and see how long it takes to release.

This way, you can safely check that it's working correctly without endangering yourself, if you really don't want to spend twice as long as you want of course.

lanad
Tightly Hogtied

Unread post by lanad »

The only guarantee with ice is that it will melt and release what ever it's holding, you can only go by the average time it takes to melt. and as you say it's all down to room temperature and loading (weight applied), 2 hours is about right for one of these gadgets, and if covered with a blanket or insulation I would expect it to last 3-4 hours, but again it all depends on room temperature.
Petrajane has the right idea.

FatherOfFour
Chair Bound

Unread post by FatherOfFour »

I usually have multiple release methods:
- loose binds
- releasable cable ties
- turnbuckles and carabiners
- multiple knots

The ice unpredictability might be fun if You have a wide enough "window of opportunity" home alone...

Have fun, prolonged...
f4