One ID and One ID Only, Please

Latest information for Gromet's Plaza, GaggedUtopia's Archive. Off-Topic discussion, suggestions and comments are always welcome.
pleasewrap
Hopelessly Suspended

RE: One ID and One ID Only, Please

Unread post by pleasewrap »

In the past, we've noticed that a few members have had multiple member IDs on the forum.  Not really a big deal, but questionable since this is supposed to be a place where you can "be yourself."  That's a bit tough to do with two IDs unless you're really two different people (plausible - multiple people live in one house), but thus far it's been infrequent enough that it really hasn't been a problem.Over the past few weeks, that's changed.  We've had a rash of IDs coming from the same person (no, we won't name names), and the only purpose that we've been able to divine is to post things that will "stir folks up."  Not much in the way of interesting content, very little in terms of contributing to the experience of the other users of the forums.And that's frankly not why we're here.Thus, this request - please limit yourself to a single ID on the forums.  There's little reason to have more than one (at least that we can think of - I'll leave the thread unlocked so others can share their thoughts), and it raises suspicions among the moderators that something is amiss when we notice it.  And that can result in us taking actions nobody will like when it gets noticed.We're happy to hear where this request might be off base, and to hear what members think about this.  But until we do, don't be surprised if you do have multiple accounts and one (or more) of them suddenly stop working.  Now you'll know why.

knotseraph
Hopelessly Suspended

Unread post by knotseraph »

Not that I myself am guilty of being more than one person...but I can see one reason for multiple ID's.  Someone who "becomes" different people at different points in terms of sex and bondage life might want different ID's.  For example, if I were to, in addition to my male dominant self, started to engage in bondage activities in complete crossdressing as a female submissive, I might want to have two ID's.  If the different was great enough.  The mindsets, the opinions, the requests might all be different.  Basically voluntary multiple personalities. Now, of course my BDSM persona, at least in all things internet is Knot Seraph.  This contrasts with my persona elsewhere on the internet or in real life.  And so, in the scope of all things, I have three personas and would need three ID's if there was a forum for everything in my life: Name Surname, Otherpersona, and Knot Seraph. But I do see the problem we have with alternative ID's to stir up trouble.  It's the forum moderators call.knotseraph2007-08-17 21:03:49

Piper
Strict Strappado

Unread post by Piper »

I've been noticing lately quite a bit of 'sketchy' posts.  They ones that raise my interest are generally by people with newly created accounts with maybe half a dozen posts, and they generally offer no more than a sentence or two with no real coherent thoughts.  Maybe they're new people who haven't gotten into the swing of things or don't have a great grasp of the English language, but I tend to assume they're just people that start an account so they can troll the kinky freaks for their own amusement.I usually just ignore the posts and figure that if I'm wrong about them, then sooner or later they'll contribute a little more and dissuade me of the idea that they're just here to toy with us.Maybe I'm reading into those posts incorrectly, but I don't think so.

pleasewrap
Hopelessly Suspended

Unread post by pleasewrap »

[quote="knotseraph"]Not that I myself am guilty of being more than one person...but I can see one reason for multiple ID's.  Someone who "becomes" different people at different points in terms of sex and bondage life might want different ID's.  For example, if I were to, in addition to my male dominant self, started to engage in bondage activities in complete crossdressing as a female submissive, I might want to have two ID's.  If the different was great enough.  The mindsets, the opinions, the requests might all be different.  Basically voluntary multiple personalities.[/quote]While I don't know that we'd have a problem with that, I don't know that I see the need for multiple ID's.  Most people aren't necessary responding to the person posting, but to the content and context of the post.This isn't intended to be "If we find out you have multiple ID's, we're shutting them all down."  It's guidance and a way to avoid issues where the same person responds to the same thread on different IDs or launches a thread, replies to it, etc. to create a stir or get a reaction.That we really don't want.

Franzia
Hopelessly Suspended

Unread post by Franzia »

Yes, Pleasewrap~ you beat me to it!   On another forum I used to visit there were some multiple IDs from the same people apparently just to carry on a thread by posting and responding to themselves~ needless to say the moderator put a stop to that !
But, like knotseraph points out~ I can see the reasoning behind it if one had two personas that are different enough... and the person doesn't hide the fact. It does seem unecessary tho'.

gaggedutopia
Site Admin

Unread post by gaggedutopia »

I could see there are instances where multiple IDs might be needed.  The best thing to do is to shoot a message to a moderator and let them know; that way we won't think something funny is going on.
Bondage Junkies: Bondage. Done. Right.
GU's Story Archive: Stories, Galleries and more!

knotseraph
Hopelessly Suspended

[quote="pleasewrap"]
Most people aren't necessary responding to the person posting, but to the content and context of the post.
[/quote]  I personally find that the person posting is part of my reading and responding.  After a while you get to know people and if you know the person's background and other posts, you sometimes get a richer message out of it.  A known male dominant saying "huge dildos are fun" will be different than a known female submissive saying "huge dildos are fun".  Someone who started bondage a week ago giving advice or an opinion may not have the same impact as someone who has been in bondage for 30 years.  And I guess there are cases where this difference will be relevant. I know that it should not be a big problem.  Just playing devil's advocate like usual.

Ranai Pahav
Tightly Hogtied

Unread post by Ranai Pahav »

It is perfectly possible to write about a broad range of BDSM interests with one username.The idea that separate, different "personalities" are necessarily needed to enjoy different activities, experiences, and mental attitudes in BDSM is a boring stereotype.If someone in their public scene interactions uses different scene names depending on what activities they are engaging in at that time, and then also uses these scene names for online communication, there isn't really any harm in it - it is done openly, and the people who meet and play with this person know who the person is.If someone is afraid that using the same username for "I like this" and "I do that" and "I also enjoy this" would somehow devalue their input in other people's eyes, I would advise you to examine why you think this, and whether you would want such a notion to influence you.[quote="pleasewrap"]and the only purpose that we've been able to divine is to post things that will "stir folks up."  Not much in the way of interesting content[/quote]One ID or multiple IDs, that sort of posting behaviour is merely trolling. It sucks.

evie
Chair Bound

Unread post by evie »

If I have more than one its just i couldn't remember my log in from before, done it on other forums, not sure if i do here, sorry if I have.

feline
Forever Mummified

Unread post by feline »

evie there is a difference between using two different login names over a year, since you forgot your password, and alternating between two login names every 10 minutes while posting to the same thread *sigh*

You have nothing to worry about here

[quote="knotseraph"] Not that I myself am guilty of being more than one person...but I can see one reason for multiple ID's. Someone who "becomes" different people at different points in terms of sex and bondage life might want different ID's.[/quote]

this sounds familiar from somewhere...
have you met Cat and Dragon yet?

when I find the "need" to be the other me's then I am that "me" with one login. I try to keep it as clear as possible, so people can "follow" what is happening. also it only happens under very specific conditions.

the other main version of this, we have a few active cross dressing members, and none of those have ever shown any sign of problems using just one ID to talk about things.

Of course there is a first time for everything. If this happened then I would suggest a rule of thumb, if the posts are intelligent, informative and interesting, and what is going on is clear then I personally see no problem.

Piper
Strict Strappado

Unread post by Piper »

Also, if you're a superhero, I think it's ok to post under two different logins.  If you could only have one, and then Superman posted under his Clark Kent login, then Lex Luthor probably would have found out and then slipped some Kryptonite Syrup into CKs morning latte, then it would have been all over.

Housebound
Strict Strappado

Unread post by Housebound »

A problem with only one ID is that -

If your name was Jekyl you would have nowhere to hide !
Struggle and Submit

knotseraph
Hopelessly Suspended

[quote="feline"]this sounds familiar from somewhere...
have you met Cat and Dragon yet? [/quote]  Actually was one example I was thinking of.  I was gonna mention that but did not want to just talk about a fellow member like she was some case study.  And yeah, I know you do just fine with one login.

feline
Forever Mummified

Unread post by feline »

[quote="Housebound"]If your name was Jekyl you would have nowhere to hide ![/quote]*painful groan*please report to the stocks in the middle of the village green, we have a large pile of over ripe fruit and several spanking implements that the forum goers would like to introduce you to once you are all locked up

Piper
Strict Strappado

Unread post by Piper »

Sounds like fun, these stocks & bonds.

feline
Forever Mummified

Unread post by feline »

*aggghhhhhhhhhhh* piper we expect to see you next to housebound!

restricted
Forever Mummified

Unread post by restricted »

Then again, for ID's what if there are more than one person using the same computer?
I used to be weird and kinky. But then I joined Bound Forum and became normal.

Piper
Strict Strappado

Unread post by Piper »

I think they mentioned that before.  I don't think it's a big deal since indeed some forum users have spouses/partners/roommates/prisoners locked in the basement that also use the same computer (or internet connection at least) and there isn't much you can do about that.If there are multiple IDs from the same IP and it seems like those IDs are being abusive or annoying then the mods can deal with them on a case by case basis.  Otherwise, no big deal.

feline
Forever Mummified

Unread post by feline »

Like most things in life, we hope to apply common sense when considering duplicate IP numbers.

Personally I am not looking at IP numbers going "is that familiar", I already have plenty of other things to keep me busy but they are checkable if things look "wrong"

speakingterm
Chair Bound

Unread post by speakingterm »

i did ask 4 u 2 close my old id's but you wouldnt?