BoundForum Problems/Solutions/Ideas

Latest information for Gromet's Plaza, GaggedUtopia's Archive. Off-Topic discussion, suggestions and comments are always welcome.
d3vious_g3nius
Strict Strappado

Re: BoundForum Problems/Solutions

Unread post by d3vious_g3nius »

I think I've found another problem.

When composing a post or personal message I have to hit submit to send it. As a switch who's mostly Dominant, YEAH... I HAVE ISSUES with it!!! Jus' sayin' :P :lol:

Technically it really is a send button though, right... RIGHT! I knew you'd agree. hehe

SBadiction
Tightly Hogtied

Unread post by SBadiction »

Hi
One slight problem, member profiles no longer say if you're male or female. Personally I like to know who I'm talking to.
Steve
Happily married (but always ready to flirt) wife not into anything kinky so it's self bondage when I can.

Darqside
Tightly Hogtied

The transfer wasn't so great. =3=

Unread post by Darqside »

That is to say, a lot of my "story posts" got jumbled and scrambled either because of font or paragraph formatting. I'm guessing this happened during the site transfer.

I don't suppose you guys want me to repost them?

Just figured I'd ask what we can do about it, since my older stuff is impossible to read now (one big block of text ugh)...
My big list of kinks (from top to bottom):
Long Rubber Hair, Rubber Skin, Posture Collar, Inflateable Breasts, Thick Rubber Corset, Hobble Corset Dress, Inflateable Butt, Rubber Pussy Fetish, Molded Ballet Boot Ultra High Heels

stephanie_cd
Forever Mummified

Re: The transfer wasn't so great. =3=

Unread post by stephanie_cd »

Darqside wrote:That is to say, a lot of my "story posts" got jumbled and scrambled either because of font or paragraph formatting. I'm guessing this happened during the site transfer.

I don't suppose you guys want me to repost them?

Just figured I'd ask what we can do about it, since my older stuff is impossible to read now (one big block of text ugh)...
One big block of text with nonsensical garbage in the middle!
Darqside wrote:You think someone like YOU can foot the bill?" "Can't afford it?!
You're right in your guess that it was something to do with font or formatting -- some author's stories came through with just minor jumbling. Others weren't so lucky:
restricted wrote: I always thought that if she didn't like it, then what she doesn't see, won't hurt her.
Obviously, phpbb didn't like the ' marks that restricted used?

Before reposting (although editing would probably be better) let's see if gu can do something with the sorts of scripts he was using for the conversion? At a quick glance, it looks like the "apostrophe bug" bit everyone across Author's Corner, and made "wall o' text" formatting changes to about 80% of the stories.

gaggedutopia
Site Admin

Unread post by gaggedutopia »

The problem stems from posting unicode characters. Stories cut and pasted from Word or other word processors put them in there but databases don't always like them.

I may be able to clean some of them up. I'll take a look later. For any that can't be they should be edited and not reposted.
Bondage Junkies: Bondage. Done. Right.
GU's Story Archive: Stories, Galleries and more!

ruru67
Tightly Hogtied

Unread post by ruru67 »

By the way, can you edit the page not found page, perhaps with an explanation of the change? External links into threads are of course broken, as are internal links between posts. I expect it'd be too hard to go through and fix up all the links... but an "if you came by via an old link, uh, sorry but ..." might be kinder than PAGE_NOT_FOUND.

gaggedutopia
Site Admin

Re: The transfer wasn't so great. =3=

Darqside wrote:That is to say, a lot of my "story posts" got jumbled and scrambled either because of font or paragraph formatting. I'm guessing this happened during the site transfer.
I'm running a quick fix that should address the unicode quotes that the transfer didn't like. The old forum should have never permitted them (and automatically converted them to normal ascii). Ahh well, one of the hundreds of reasons I hated that software.

If there are other problems please post links in this thread. For example, I didn't run into any wall of text issues but only looked at a few posts.

gaggedutopia
Site Admin

I've looked into the story formatting some more. It's quite obvious it is the MS Word cut and pastes that did it. The embedded hidden code that program puts in HTML is god awful. Going forward this forum (I believe) is smart enough to strip that stuff or not allow the post.

Code: Select all

<B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal"><I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal">[size=15]<FONT face="Times New Roman">Heel!<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>[/size]</FONT></I></B><B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal"><I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal">
That's before a single letter of the story is posted. WTF Indeed.

If my quick fixes don't do it there is only one other option and it may mean shutting down the forum to do a re-conversion of just the story area. The conversion destroyed a lot of the stupid Word tags and with them missing it's hard to reconstruct what was suppose to be there, like paragraph breaks.

gaggedutopia
Site Admin

One last thing. If anyone who wants to fix their story by hand but doesn't have the original anymore the old forum is still available.

http://webwiz.boundforum.com/forum

It won't be around forever, but you should have plenty of time to do what you need. I would give it a few days until my script has run fully.

RADER123
Unfettered Newbie

Unread post by RADER123 »

Please Help.
I can not log in under my old user name...(RAE) \Had to invent new name and
pass word to get to you.
Tried Pass word lost several times, but no responce
I joined Oct. of 2008, and have over 500 post to date,
Now I am back to being a Newbee.
Can you please help an old timmer getr back into the game.
Thanks
Rae

stephanie_cd
Forever Mummified

Unread post by stephanie_cd »

RADER123 wrote:Please Help.
pass word to get to you.
Tried Pass word lost several times, but no responce
Are you absolutely, 100% certain that you've got the right e-mail address on file for the new forum to send the password?

You might want to go back to the "old" forum at http://webwiz.boundforum.com/forum and make sure we've got the right one on file!

gaggedutopia
Site Admin

RADER123 wrote:Please Help.
pass word to get to you.
You can email me at gaggedutopia{@}gmail{.}com. You will need to provide information that is only visible to the account holder.

sharon25
Unfettered Newbie

Unread post by sharon25 »

On the "Heavy Mummification Art" in the Mummification forum....

Now I can only view half of the "Mummification Art" ....
:'(

Before you change to this new background and such.

I was able to scroll to area and see WHOLE BONDAGE FANTASY MUMMIFICATION
artwork from one side to another.

Now I see half of it being chopped in half...
:(

The large vertical ones are no problem to view.............
It is the ones that horizontal that is a MAJOR PROBLEM, some have a
comic book story and you can't see the conclusion of it.
:(

What is the problem here???
Why can't I see the whole horizontal artworks anymore?

MsBehavin
Hopelessly Suspended

Unread post by MsBehavin »

It's not just the mummification art thread, I noticed some of lightspear's photos have been affected this way too (Gronc's art probably is too). Where as we once could scroll to view now they are chopped to the size of the board.

gaggedutopia
Site Admin

sharon25 wrote:It is the ones that horizontal that is a MAJOR PROBLEM, some have a
comic book story and you can't see the conclusion of it.

What is the problem here???
Why can't I see the whole horizontal artworks anymore?
The images are not actually chopped off. You can simply right click and select 'View Image' in most browsers and see the whole image. If the author's of the posts want to edit their posts so they fit within the margins they are more than welcome to do so. This new forum enforces the page size which is why they are getting chopped off.

Lastly, over 11,000 threads and 133,000 posts were converted. A few eggs are bound to get broken, the sky is not falling. :roll:

Housebound
Strict Strappado

Unread post by Housebound »

Page Size -

I have followed your suggestions from yesterday and have changed my MONITOR display
to 1024x768. This gives me the full width of the forum without the need to scroll left/right.

However it does make the text size uncomfortably smaller. I normally work with a display
of 800x600 for easy reading and don't fancy having to switch around all the time.

Fixed width page design is not in the spirit of internet/html usage, as the style of display
should automatically adjust to the user/reader's requirements and equipment, not be
forced by the originator.
I realize that this is not directly your fault, but there was far more flexibility with the previous incarnation.
Struggle and Submit

Petrajane
Strict Strappado

Unread post by Petrajane »

Not sure if this is the right place, but during the conversion, a grammar error seems to have crept in to the Chasity sub-forum description: What do you mean it has 'only' been month ?!?

It used to be 20 days, now having changed to month, an "a" seems to have being missed? as in "What do you mean it has 'only' been a month ?!?"

gaggedutopia
Site Admin

Petrajane wrote:It used to be 20 days, now having changed to month, an "a" seems to have being missed? as in "What do you mean it has 'only' been a month ?!?"
Fixed.

gaggedutopia
Site Admin

Housebound wrote:Fixed width page design is not in the spirit of internet/html usage, as the style of display
should automatically adjust to the user/reader's requirements and equipment, not be forced by the originator.

I realize that this is not directly your fault, but there was far more flexibility with the previous incarnation.
True, but what was true 20 years ago doesn't mean it does today. Any monitor from the past 5 years easily support larger resolutions (1280x1024 and up). If font size is a problem, any modern browser will let you adjust that.

If it bothers you, you can go into your profile and change your template to 'prosilver'. That template has a flexible width but ugly as sin.

gaggedutopia
Site Admin

ruru67 wrote:By the way, can you edit the page not found page, perhaps with an explanation of the change? External links into threads are of course broken, as are internal links between posts. I expect it'd be too hard to go through and fix up all the links... but an "if you came by via an old link, uh, sorry but ..." might be kinder than PAGE_NOT_FOUND.
The 404 page is now a bit better. Check it out:

http://boundforum.com/test