Internet security

Latest information for Gromet's Plaza, GaggedUtopia's Archive. Off-Topic discussion, suggestions and comments are always welcome.
Guests
Tightly Hogtied

RE: Internet security

Unread post by Guests »

Perhaps this may be a good time for our resident tech heads to post a brief 'how to' with the latest internet security must haves- how important firewalls & so forth are? How safe are chat programs etc.tojo

pleasewrap
Hopelessly Suspended

Unread post by pleasewrap »

How important are firewalls?  Very.  There will always beexploits, and a good firewall will keep you safer than not havingone.  You should have:1>  A personal firewall configured to block access that you don't know about or allow.2>  An antivirus package that receives regular signature updates and runs both real-time and off-line scans.3>  Two anti-spyware apps of your choice.  One may/will catch things that the other won't.I'd recommend paying for the first two, but the free options for the third are also quite good.Without the above, there's some significant risk to you and your computer.

gaggedutopia
Site Admin

Unread post by gaggedutopia »

At my work I have invested thousands in internet security from advancedfirewalls to corporate editions of anti-virus applications tospam/virus filters to prevent attacks from all fronts.  In spiteof all this, it is usually users that open the front door to securityproblems.One example for us was a salesperson that used the shared laptop. This had Norton on it, but after sitting in a bag for 6 months, wasvery much out of date.  On top of it all, no windows updates hadbeen run on it for 6 months either.  All they would have had to dois connect it to the network for about 10 minutes and it would havebeen automatic, but they didn't.  They flew to China, and withinone day the laptop was dead.It's a rare example, but one that proves my point.  No matter howmuch software and hardware you buy, you must instill good practices inyourself and people who share your computer.  Keep all software upto date, including windows updates.  Don't run applications fromshady websites and don't open emails with attachments unless you areexpecting them.Pleasewrap's suggestions will work and I would recommend them aswell.  If you are concerned that you don't have enough security,you can find out quick from an easy online tool from one of the leadingsecurity experts out there, Steve Gibson.  Check out ShieldsUp.  They also have some other good security recommendations.http://www.grc.com
Bondage Junkies: Bondage. Done. Right.
GU's Story Archive: Stories, Galleries and more!