Did the forum go down today?

Latest information for Gromet's Plaza, GaggedUtopia's Archive. Off-Topic discussion, suggestions and comments are always welcome.
slaphappy
Unfettered Newbie

RE: Did the forum go down today?

Unread post by slaphappy »

Couldn't get in here earlier and was just wondering 

Franzia
Hopelessly Suspended

Unread post by Franzia »

Same here... got a "site cannot be found" error.   Tried again few minutes later and there it is!   

gaggedutopia
Site Admin

Unread post by gaggedutopia »

None of you are crazy, my server/service had "a problem" today. The strange part is that I have noooooo f'ing clue what caused it, atleast not for sure.For techies out there that want to hear why this was so strange, here it is, otherwise, I guess skip this message . I was sitting at this server today, opened a browser this morning, andboth my site and this forum wouldn't work.  I could ping, but DNSwouldn't resolve.  I have two local DNS servers... both workedfine and answered the queries fine for both domains.  Usingoutside tools (such as DNStools.com), I ran an nslookup on the domainsand they wouldn't resolve.Again I could ping and bring up the sites via their IP, but not viaDNS.  Logic dictates it must be the DNS server right?  I haveVerisign host my DNS services... and while anything is possible, Inever in a million would guess Verisign of all people would have DNSissues.  However improbable, I can only speculate it was themcaused the problem and thankfully fixed it quickly.It's the first time I have seen them have a problem in the 6 years Ihave used them, so I doubt there will be any trouble from them againanytime soon.
Bondage Junkies: Bondage. Done. Right.
GU's Story Archive: Stories, Galleries and more!

pleasewrap
Hopelessly Suspended

Unread post by pleasewrap »

There's two possible "whys" that spring immediately to mind.  TheDNS servers that are the Source of Authority (NS83.worldnic.com andNS84.worldnic.com) for the boundorum.com domain were down or thenetwork that they sit on was unreachable.  The DNS error indicatesthat the name couldn't be turned into an IP address, so something withthe SOA record went to hell in a handbasket.  Once you can'tresolve that, you can't resolve any sites within the domain, and you'repretty much hosed.I doubt it's the hosting company.  It's more likely WorldNIC.

gaggedutopia
Site Admin

Unread post by gaggedutopia »

[quote="pleasewrap"]I doubt it's the hosting company.  It's more likely WorldNIC.[/quote]WorldNIC = VerisignVerisign doesn't host (this site), they supply domain registration and DNS services.GaggedUtopia38685.3763888889
Bondage Junkies: Bondage. Done. Right.
GU's Story Archive: Stories, Galleries and more!

slaphappy
Unfettered Newbie

Unread post by slaphappy »

Wow, strange for Verisign to go down.  Oh well, it happens. Doncha just hate it when someone else screws up your stuff? Doesn't seem to matter who you use for anything, eventually everyonehas problems.  I bet you were relieved though, I can just see thepanic attack starting   OMG!  Just got this forum up and it's working great! WTF!  Always a relief when it's someone elses screwup 

pleasewrap
Hopelessly Suspended

Unread post by pleasewrap »

Well, it's not like all of Verisign crashed, just a few serversor a network segment.  It's also possible that a Denial of Serviceattack or blackhole caused the outage.  But the servers that tellyou where to look to find out how to turn "www.boundforum.com" into155.212.56.125 couldn't provide you with that information for someportion of the day.It happens.  There was a major, major outage not too too long agowhere many of the root DNS servers were under a DoS attack and largeblackouts were common.  The fact that the Internet isn't onecentral network works both for it and against it...