Gromet’s Plaza Pics

Latest information for Gromet's Plaza, GaggedUtopia's Archive. Off-Topic discussion, suggestions and comments are always welcome.
pleasewrap
Hopelessly Suspended

RE: Gromet’s Plaza Pics

Unread post by pleasewrap »

[quote="GaggedUtopia"]What you are refering to is more of an Anti-Virus client and not afirewall.[/quote]Actually, I'm not. AV software can combat some of that, yes.  But Firewall softwarecan also detect and stop a Trojan that has managed to infect yourmachine and prevent it from "phoning home."There's also exploits like buffer overflows in links that AV will donothing for, but are signatures that a good firewall can detect andstop before they become problematic.[quote]When I refer to removing a firewall, I am saying ditchthe tcp/udp port monitoring software, the linksys will always do better(unless you open up ports obviously).  Firefox and a goodantivirus client should be all the software you need (and a littlecommon sense ).[/quote]And I'll respectfully disagree.  All that the typical broadbandrouter is doing is providing Network Address Translation.  Somecan provide firewall features, but relatively few do and even fewerhave folks paying the upgrade fee to keep the subscriptions up to date.Security requires multiple layers of protection to be effective. The NAT is good, since it prevents nearly all inbound connections(barring an exploit against the router itself or a configuration toallow some inbound traffic).  But it's not enough to pull off yourpersonal firewall (particularly if you use an 802.11 wireless network -terribly insecure even with WEP/WPA enabled).  Multiple layers ofprotection is best and doesn't cost a great deal to get your hands on.

gaggedutopia
Site Admin

Unread post by gaggedutopia »

[quote="pleasewrap"]And I'll respectfully disagree.  All that the typical broadbandrouter is doing is providing Network Address Translation.  Somecan provide firewall features, but relatively few do and even fewerhave folks paying the upgrade fee to keep the subscriptions up to date.Security requires multiple layers of protection to be effective. The NAT is good, since it prevents nearly all inbound connections(barring an exploit against the router itself or a configuration toallow some inbound traffic).  But it's not enough to pull off yourpersonal firewall (particularly if you use an 802.11 wireless network -terribly insecure even with WEP/WPA enabled).  Multiple layers ofprotection is best and doesn't cost a great deal to get your hands on.[/quote]The truth is, we are both right in what angle we are talkingabout.  I am using the appoach of an experienced user, justlooking to protect thier system from outside hackers and knows betterthen to run malicious code, and runs updates on windows/firefox/etc...when they come out. You are arguing the angle of the average computer user, who updatesinfrequently (usually when something breaks), and cannot tell thedifference between a "cool game" and a trojan/spyware/malware. Most use IE and click yes to ActiveX dialogs just to keep them frompoping up again and again.The stuff I use at work, well, I take all the steps you mention and gobeyond that, but I still stand by a simple linksys and firefox (andsome AV sprinkled in) for the experienced user at home.
Bondage Junkies: Bondage. Done. Right.
GU's Story Archive: Stories, Galleries and more!

Kathaar
Unfettered Newbie

Unread post by Kathaar »

On the topic of web browsers: I use Opera (www.opera.com) and it is hands down the fastest web browser I have found. Lots of skins, great support community, and they recently released version 8 which removes an ad banner they used to place at the top of the screen. Slightly higher learning curve than Firefox, but everyone, bar none, that I have talked into trying for a week (i.e. gave it a serious shot) has stuck with it.

And nowadays, nobody should surf broadband without a hardware firewall, a software firewall (try zonelabs free), antivirus, and a spyware remover or two. Pleasewrap is right, they each have their place and don't really substitute well.

skin1701
Unfettered Newbie

Unread post by skin1701 »

Hooray!!!! I sorted it... it was a setting in my security oftware preventing ads... I turned it off and now I can see al the fabulous pics... Thanks for all your suggestions folks...Skin1701...