What's the problem with Yahoo groups?

Share your favorite links as well as review your experiences, good or bad.
LockedInALocker
Hopelessly Suspended

RE: What's the problem with Yahoo groups?

Unread post by LockedInALocker »

[quote="JamesShaw"]Well, even if I knew the name of a group to join,  I've no clue as to how to go about it.[/quote]     If you know the *exact* name of a group, including any punctuation marks included in the name, you can find it by going to a U.R.L. in the form:  http://groups.yahoo.com/group/[NAME OF GROUP]     While punctuation marks like "-" or "_" must be included exactly as they appear, it doesn't seem to be case-sensitive.Regards, Michael.

Templarart
Unfettered Newbie

Unread post by Templarart »

I've been collecting yahoo groups for my webdirectory now for maybe 10 years.  Check out: http://www.weirdandsexy.com  This version of the site is in a very simple format but I'm currently working to put it up on a database.  So far I've transfered nearly 6,000 sites and I'm barely at the tip of the iceberg.  Thanks!

Templarart
Unfettered Newbie

Unread post by Templarart »

Oh - one more thing... if you want me to post your site or group please contact me at templarart at fastmail dot fm.  My regular email address is so overwhelmed by spam (over 1300 a day) that I've pretty much abandoned it.

dale232
Tightly Hogtied

Unread post by dale232 »

Finding specific Yahoo Groups dealing with a particular kink is so hit or miss that I suspect alot of people (me included) joined them, not necessarily sure that they will participate in the group, but simply because joining them makes it easier to find them later if they DO decide to participate.  Did that make sense? Of course, after a point, I started keeping a notepad devoted to Yahoo Groups I've stumbled upon that interested me.  I would copy the URL on that pad unless I was absolutely sure I was going to participate on that site, in which case I would join the site instead. I have a couple of Yahoo Groups I'm still a member of that were founded by and devoted to a bondage model (Heaven Lee) who died years ago.  There's no activity on the sites, but last I checked, they still exist.  I mean, talk about a Yahoo Group that's dead in terms of participation!    

DruidNoble2013
Unfettered Newbie

Re: What's the problem with Yahoo groups?

Unread post by DruidNoble2013 »

I see the same problem with sites and forums. I think it is in people's nature to be users, to be wanted to be used rather than to be contributors or givers. I will admit I am one. I am on the prowl for a f/sub. But I do see blogs here that I find interesting and to which I respond. That way I learn and I keep myself visible in case a contact should show up. Druid./b].