Latex Bedding

Pass the talc powder please!
EricJP65
Unfettered Newbie

RE: Latex Bedding

Unread post by EricJP65 »

I recently purchased a pair of pillowcases from Kink Engineering for Christmas, and after sleeping on them so far, I discovered something interesting.  When I lay on my side, my ear pressed against the pillow, it seems like the latex is causing my pulse to be amplified not unlike a stethoscope.  I was curious if anyone else has had this happen to them.

d3vious_g3nius
Strict Strappado

Unread post by d3vious_g3nius »

I seem to remember that from early on when I bought some "molded" latex pillow cases! I know I know.. molded, really d_g? Meh, shoot me Anyway, I think it's due to air tight'ish "seal" created between your ear and the latex. And hey, I know.. if you put a pillow on top of your head as well, whaalaa: Super Sexy Latex Bedtime Sensory Deprivation! Jus' a thought. - d3viant_rubb3rist d3vious_g3nius2012-01-29 21:15:15

EricJP65
Unfettered Newbie

Unread post by EricJP65 »

Tempting thought, ultimately I think it'd be fun to get the entire bedding set done in latex, but that's a lot of money all at once, so I'm settling for piece-meal.  My next thing I want is either a top-sheet, or fitted-sheet, not sure which one.  if anyone had some advice/comments, that would be appreciated.

LockedInALocker
Hopelessly Suspended

Unread post by LockedInALocker »

[quote="EricJP65"]I recently purchased a pair of pillowcases from Kink Engineering for Christmas, and after sleeping on them so far, I discovered something interesting.  When I lay on my side, my ear pressed against the pillow, it seems like the latex is causing my pulse to be amplified not unlike a stethoscope.  I was curious if anyone else has had this happen to them.[/quote]
     It sounds like you are just noticing sounds that were already there but unnoticed before as a result of everyday sounds around you being reduced or cut off - those hitherto unnoticed sounds suddenly become very loud in the absence of any stronger sound. I've noticed when using earplugs that you hear a pulsating, and also things like swallowing sound far louder.
     It is said that true silence really doesn't exist, because, whatever sounds you cut off, there are always more that become more prominent. The 20th-century experimental American composer John Cage, interested in concepts that stretch the very definition of music, such as silence or random noise, once related how, in search of utter silence, he entered an anechoic chamber - that is, a room designed to be utterly silent, soundproofed to exclude as much external sound as possible, and designed internally to suppress as much reverberation inside as possible. To his surprise, he didn't hear silence at all, but heard two continuous sounds: one high-pitched, and one low-pitched. He wondered what was wrong here, but said he later learned that the low-pitched sound was the sound of his blood coursing through his veins and arteries, and the high-pitched one was his nervous system operating. Apparently this experience was very influential in determining the evolution of his musical philosophy and style.
     So it seems whatever moves you take to exclude sound, other sound is always present and will then seem disproportionately loud.

Regards, Michael.

Rubberron
Unfettered Newbie

Unread post by Rubberron »

Hi to All
Hello EricJP65Most rubberist have some problems with their ears when the start to wear latexmasks.My guess(I`m not a medical doctor) it has to do with airpresure.
Nose ,ears and throat are connected.
When you sleep on one side wearing a mask or just with your head on a latex pillow, the air flow gets blocked in this ear.
Which creates airpressure in the ear, causing painful ears or as in your case hearing your heartpulse.This topic is also been discussed  on the www.rubberist.net in the section Health and Safety Issues.Rubberized Greetings
Rubberron

styrene
Chair Bound

Unread post by styrene »

[quote="EricJP65"] I recently purchased a pair of pillowcases from Kink Engineering for Christmas, and after sleeping on them so far, I discovered something interesting.  When I lay on my side, my ear pressed against the pillow, it seems like the latex is causing my pulse to be amplified not unlike a stethoscope.  I was curious if anyone else has had this happen to them.

[/quote]

This does happan to me, however not just with latex. It has been happan since a young age (like 8 or 10) but I have never really thought much of it I just assumed it happans to everybody.