editing a story

Like a story? Need help writing your own? Post your thoughts and ideas here.
lanad
Tightly Hogtied

editing a story

Unread post by lanad »

OK
so I've written a new story and have prof read it a hundred times, I coped and posted into the forum, and now I have to prof read again as all the spacing has gone,

what am I doing wrong, I'm using word as my editor, should I be using a different program to wright my scribbling on.

I have made a draft so as to keep the story for editing again.
what am I doing wrong.

Petrajane
Strict Strappado

Re: editing a story

Unread post by Petrajane »

lanad wrote:OK
so I've written a new story and have prof read it a hundred times, I coped and posted into the forum, and now I have to prof read again as all the spacing has gone,

what am I doing wrong, I'm using word as my editor, should I be using a different program to wright my scribbling on.

I have made a draft so as to keep the story for editing again.
what am I doing wrong.
Word adds so much crap when pasted into a forum post.

I'd recommend using something like EditPad or if you prefer, NotePad (comes with Windows), NOT WordPad though.
Write it in basic mode, ie: no formatting, then add any formatting in the forum post.

That's how I do it anyway. :)

lanad
Tightly Hogtied

Unread post by lanad »

Thanks for that,sounds like it's easier to escape from a pair of hand cuffs.

stephanie_cd
Forever Mummified

Unread post by stephanie_cd »

lanad wrote:Thanks for that,sounds like it's easier to escape from a pair of hand cuffs.
1) If you have a Windows PC, go to "Start," "All Programs," "Accessories," and then select NotePad.

2) Copy/paste the story from Word into NotePad, and/or write any new stories in NotePad to start with.

NotePad will remove any of Words' special formatting (including italic or bold type, "tab" indents, and sometimes even "return" or "enter" paragraph breaks). Notepad will leave most "normal" punctuation marks such as ? and ! and " alone.

3) Copy/paste the story from NotePad into the forum window. Those steps are all easy and if the story is already written elsewhere it should take you less than a minute. :D

4) Once the story is in the forum window, you will probably need to go in and add paragraphs, indents, and italic text for dialogue, using the FORUM's text window and tools. Unless you've written a 200 page novel, that part isn't difficult and it shouldn't take much time at all.

5) Click the "Preview" button and keep editing until you're happy with the result, then click "Submit."

:D

FatherOfFour
Chair Bound

Unread post by FatherOfFour »

I frequently use notepad++ (a freeware sw) to do multiple document editing, file compares, xml/html, or auto-complete and many other uses... it's a swiss-knife of text editing.

Have fun, text Your stories...
f4

lanad
Tightly Hogtied

Unread post by lanad »

thanks for all your advice, I'll probably use note pad next time, as I have already loaded it to "draft" I'll finish it there.
xx

Michaelwidly
Unfettered Newbie

editing a story

Unread post by Michaelwidly »

I have the next story in Sleepyside Bytes finished actually, the next several, but well get there .
The last posted story in SB was Jim and Trixies wedding. This story picks up after their honeymoon.
Unfortunately, some of my regular editors have RL getting in the way of editing and the rest are working on the big story I dumped on them last month.
I should just be patient and wait for them to have free time, I know, but, when it comes to editing and impatience, I have more in common with Trixie than I probably should.
Anyone want to enable my impatience and take a look at this story?

I confess I also wanted to try out creating a new thread. Got to test out the new board
Mercedes

boundBinder
Strict Strappado

Unread post by boundBinder »

Are these stories posted on this site? If not, can you supply links? I'm always in the market for new tales. :)

AnimeBoyy
Unfettered Newbie

Unread post by AnimeBoyy »

Sounds good to me