BoundForum Problems/Solutions/Ideas

Latest information for Gromet's Plaza, GaggedUtopia's Archive. Off-Topic discussion, suggestions and comments are always welcome.
_MiG_
Tightly Hogtied

RE: BoundForum Problems/Solutions

Unread post by _MiG_ »

Using opera on windows XP, through telstra broadband, i find that the smiley's window doesn't open quite big enough, and hasn't got any scroll bars. The window is, however, resizeable, so it doesn't worry me too much.

And, as i've just noticed, i can use my scroll wheel on the emoticon popup. weird...

Just more of an FYI, i guess.
    _MiG_2006-07-03 06:49:18

_MiG_
Tightly Hogtied

Unread post by _MiG_ »

And, for something that's more of a problem than an fyi, using my URL tags won't link to the target site, as there's a www.boundforum.com/forum in front of it.

The following post has what i'm on about in it:
/forum_posts.asp?TID=1363&PID=12158#12158

gaggedutopia
Site Admin

Unread post by gaggedutopia »

The linking can be a little tricky because the tool tries to be a little too helpful.  I myself find it easier to use the 'forum codes' to do things because the tools can screw it up sometimes.  The reason it put the boundforum URL in front of the link however was because the link didn't have http:// in front of it.  The web software doesn't recognize it so it thinks the page is hosted on this server and tries to "fix" the link.  In short, try adding http:// to the link and it shouldn't do that.
Bondage Junkies: Bondage. Done. Right.
GU's Story Archive: Stories, Galleries and more!

gaggedutopia
Site Admin

I have setup the latest version of the forum software and am testing it out now.  I plan on making it live sometime this week.  It looks like the upload problem has been fixed which is nice.  I think I may have found a solution to the "scroll within a post" issue.  For those having it, please send me a PM so I can send you a special link to try.

TeaSer
Strict Strappado

Unread post by TeaSer »

Sitting at the Balaton lake in Hungary I tried to reply to some subject at  bound Forum. True! I was slow - it was a deeply felt reply. But as I pressed send reply after 20 minutes, I had been logged off - leaving my reply in the deep dump.This is just so annoying! If it's possible to change, please do.Another nice feature would be the ability to suppress avatars - this might be a feature in the profile. Why? Because when I'm on a phone modem, avatars takes quite long to transfer. And when my unknowing family is on vacation at my back, it's very visible what kind of Forum I'm logged into. The later is a problem at computerconferences as well.Anyway - I'll be back later this summer.TeaSer
You may call me an old, perverted sadist - but don't flatter

Housebound
Strict Strappado

Unread post by Housebound »

For TeaSer - It is quite possible to write what you want to say, off line in a Text Editor, then drag and drop the text file into the Message Window.

For Site Manager - Would it be possible to add the date of the first message in the 'Topic Starter' column of each thread?
Struggle and Submit

gaggedutopia
Site Admin

Teaser - A little trick that I use sometimes is to select all the text and copy it before hitting post.  If it does fail, I can just create the message again and just hit paste.  I have saved  myself a few time with that one.As for adding the date, in theory it can be done.  I am not sure what it would help however.  Could you explain a little more so I can better understand? 

Housebound
Strict Strappado

Unread post by Housebound »

I usualy read only the 'Active Topics' page. Sometimes an apparently new thread crops up with several postings.
On loading this turns out to be a months old thread which someone has only just found, and to which there is nothing sicnificant to add.

Having the date of starting the thread could save some time when using a DialUp connection.

Just a thought thats all, I won't get my knickers in a knot if it does noy happen
Struggle and Submit

Franzia
Hopelessly Suspended

Unread post by Franzia »

I use dialup too, but I don't mind people starting old threads if it's a very specific topic~ "Bondage and fetish in mainstream media" for example. This will avoid having what is essentially the same topic scattered in a half-dozen different places.
    Franzia2006-07-13 11:54:30

gaggedutopia
Site Admin

I have updated the forum to the latest version.  There are a number of minor bug fixes and a couple major ones.  The biggest is the ability to upload images and avatars should be working again.  Let me know if you have any problems (with anything!).  I have also increased the image upload limit to 75Kb from 50Kb.  I know a lot of you were having trouble getting the images to 50Kb while still making them viewable.  Hopefully this should help!GaggedUtopia2006-07-15 16:42:55

gaggedutopia
Site Admin

In regards to the "logout" issue that some of you have been having.  I noticed in the code today (while making other changes) that there is a session timeout for 20 minutes in regards to posts.  Seems kinda stupid to me, so I changed it to 60 minutes.  Hopefully this is what has been causing all the problems.

_MiG_
Tightly Hogtied

Unread post by _MiG_ »

Not sure if this is the right part to say this, but could a sticky thread be made for story searches? I've seen three threads in three days, and i think it might be helpful to have one big story search thread. who knows, someone could even be looking for a story someone else has found...

gaggedutopia
Site Admin

Not a bad idea, I can make one.

GiTbind
Tightly Hogtied

Unread post by GiTbind »

One "issue" im spotting on this forum (which looks to have a load of great folks about) is that you cannot always tell the sex of each user? An M or F put in somewhere will help a few people me thinks? Rick.

roboman
Strict Strappado

Unread post by roboman »

I think some don't want to post their sex and for others M or F doesn't quite cover it....

KevBowler300
Strict Strappado

Unread post by KevBowler300 »

I agree that it would be helpful to know just who you were talking to (especially as it can really get confusing when you see the same avatar for several people and can get mixed up), but you'd have to have several options like M, F, TV, CD, and not telling so everyone would be happy.
Ladies and gentlemen and variations thereupon...
30/M/IN
Packaging, contortion, anything kinky

KevBowler300
Strict Strappado

Unread post by KevBowler300 »

I didn't know whether to post this here or start a thread or what so a moderator can move this if they'd like.

I'm just curious, might it be considered to have a member cleaning occationally? Looking at the member list there's over 100 people who haven't visited since January 1st and over 300 people who haven't visited in the last 6 months. Many of those people don't have any posts and/or have a last visited date within a day or two of their signup date.

It's nice to say we have over 1600 members right now, but many of them seem to have left (now why would they ever do that? ). I'm not saying you have to post or anything (although we should have the right to tie up lurkers for experiments ), but if you don't even visit should they still be in the list?

Ok, I'll stop rambling and see what happens
Ladies and gentlemen and variations thereupon...
30/M/IN
Packaging, contortion, anything kinky

roboman
Strict Strappado

Unread post by roboman »

Aw what the heck. If you couldn't guess it from the name I'm male and updated my sig

gaggedutopia
Site Admin

To answer the male/female tag questions - there are a number of females on here that don't make their gender knows because of harassment.  The question has come up before and the women on this forum answered with a resounding - no.  On another note, the forum doesn't support it by default - it would have to be coded (and would need the support of the women here before I did).  Hope that answers the question.As for member clearing - I do it from time to time - but only members who have not posted AND have not visited in 6 months.  Pruning takes a while to do and with server issues/crashes recently I probably won't be able to get it to soon.  It is on my list, and have done it before.

Franzia
Hopelessly Suspended

Unread post by Franzia »

I rarely get this error anywhere else, but since the last switch-over I have been getting numerous gateway timeouts for just this site~ "refresh" usually takes care of it, but still~ overloaded servers somewhere?